A Guide to Search Results for "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"
The search term "ca Department of Motor Vehicles" is a more or less unequivocal reference to the State of California's Department of Motor Vehicles, which is the state agency responsible for the licensing of drivers and vehicles in California, for the enforcement of administrative regulations related to those responsibilities, and for conducting hearings related to suspension of driving privileges arising from those administrative regulations, particularly hearings arising from arrests for drunk driving. Notwithstanding the more or less unequivocal nature of the search query CA Department of Motor Vehicles, there is a great deal of noise found in search results for this query because certain Web sites have a great deal of relevance to the keyword California but make only passing references to the keyword DMV. The search results compiled below have eliminated this noise in favor of Web sites that (presumably) are more relevant to the query California DMV. Also worthy of note is the fact that Canadian DMV services can be referenced as CA DMV services.
Are you looking for official information about the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- California Department of Motor Vehicles
Official Home Page.
- California Business, Transportation & Housing Agency
Official Web site of the agency for the Executive Branch of California that oversees the California DMV.
- California Department of Boating and Waterways
Official Web site of the state agency with responsibilities for boating and waterways that were carved out of the California DMV's original jurisdiction.
Are you looking for unofficial guides to the services offered by the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- Automobile Club of Southern California - DMV Forms and Member Services
A collection of annotated links, articles, and forms.
- How to Obtain California DMV Disabled Placard
Are you looking for information about the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" and drunk driving?
- California DUI - California DMV License Suspensions
An overview of the California DMV license suspension process.
- California DUI - California DMV Administrative Hearings
An overview of the California DMV administrative process.
- DUI Central - California DMV Hearing Process
An overview of the DMV hearing and license suspension process.
- California Department of Alcohol & Drug Programs - Directory of Service Providers (PDF File)
Official directory of driving-under-the-influence programs listed by county.
- California Drunk Driving Law Center
Resources from a drunk driving lawyer, including a driver's guide to DUI License suspensions and DMV hearings.
Are you looking for information about "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" self-service kiosks?
- Budget Cuts Drive DMV Changes
By Kimberly Leonard,Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Budget cuts at state DMVs have created a sense of urge to upgrade systems."
- California DMV launches kiosk program
June 5, 2006
Department of Motor Vehicles locations in San Diego, Orange and Los Angeles counties have started to use touchscreen kiosks as part of a DMV customer service pilot program.
Are you looking for information about online "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" registration?
- DMV Sees 20 Percent Surge in Online Business During 1st Quarter of 2010
15 April 2010
Online business transactions numbered close to 2.6 million during the first quarter of 2010.
- Pros and cons of a US issued national ID card
By, Leigh Goessl
The pros and cons of a nationally issued Driver's license/ID Card.
- Fair Isaac - Case Study - California DMV Streamlines Fee Processing Software integrates complex components to process business rules effectively.
- California DMV Streamlines Fee Processing -- Fair, Isaac Blaze ...
Inc - Summary of California DMV Streamlines Fee Processing -- Fair, Isaac Blaze Advisor Software Integrates Complex Components to Process Business Rules ...
Are you looking for information about the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" photo database?
- Government Technology News - Access Granted
Jul 03 2002 06:43AM
CAL-photo is giving California law enforcement unprecedented access to 32 million driver's license photos.
- Driver License Photo Database Used by FBI
Oct. 14, 2009
In its search for fugitives, the FBI has begun using facial-recognition technology on millions of motorists, comparing driver’s license photos with pictures of convicts.
- California DMV considering facial recognition - March 8, 2009
Proposed $63m facial recognition contract would help flag applicants applying for a fraudulent license.
Are you looking for information about other technology being used by the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- The SCO Group, Inc. - California DMV
New System Implemented by Computer Deductions, Inc. and Polaroid will Track, Catalog and Manage All Drivers' Licenses Issued by the California DMV.
- DMV proposes a major policy shift to biometric systems
Feb 3, 2009
DMV proposal to add biometric technology to phots and thumbprints.
- DISC Success Stories - California DMV
Solving the need for speed, DISC libraries retrieve historical data for the California's Department of Motor Vehicles from a large archived photo database.
- Privacy Groups Worried Over California DMV Proposal for Face-Detection Technology
Feb 9, 2009 * By Michael Barkoviak, Privacy groups worried over California DMV proposal for face-detection technology. .
- California Department of Motor Vehicles Chooses HP to Help Reduce Costs.
December 2, 2009
The State of California DMV has moved to HP computer systems in an attempt to reduce costs.
Are you looking for information about licenses for illegal aliens provided by the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
[Note: The term "undocumented workers," as opposed to "illegal aliens," is typically favored by those with viewpoints sympathetic to immigrants, but the most prominent Web sites relevant to the search term California DMV have an unabashedly anti-immigrant sentiment to them. Even so, the search results featured below are quite authoritative in that most of them reference other Web sites with opposing viewpoints, if only to criticize them.]
- Good Grief: California DMV Employees Arrested for Selling Fake IDs, Licenses, & Car Titles to Illegal Aliens
By Vicki McClure Davidson. May 7, 2010
- Drivers Licenses for illegal aliens
The open borders lobby routinely lobbies state legislatures to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens as one of the keys to erasing the distinction between legal citizens and illegal aliens.
- Tighter license rules hit illegal immigrants
By Daniel C. Vock, Aug 24, 2007, 9:00am
- Drivers Licenses and Social Security Numbers for Illegal Immigrants
Are you looking for information about problems people are encountering with discrepancies between the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" database and the Social Security Administration's database?
- Interesting People - Slack Goes When California DMV Gains Access to SSA Database
Anecdotal story of Elizabeth Weise (aka "Beth Weise"), Technology Reporter for USA Today Life Section.
- Monkeys vs. Robots - Gotta Love the DMV
One pop culture writer's experience with the California DMV renewal procedure post-SSA database confirmation.
Are you looking for information about electronic access to the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" database by insurance companies?
- Do we still have to carry proof of insurance if the new law states the authorities have access to verify who is covered
New laws in several states have made it possible for law enforcement to have access to DMV records. These records also include the driver's insurance status.
- Californians Can Get Access To Vehicle Histories
DMV announces that insurance companies and citizens will have better access to vehicle and DMV records
- Siliconvalley.Internet.com - Progressive Gets Calif. Drivers Out Of Their Long DMV Lines
Michael Singer, June 29, 2001
Are you looking for information about "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" hearings for unsafe drivers?
- H.E.L.P. - Driving and Older Adults
Article about age-related restrictions on driving privileges.
- Family Caregiver Alliance - Dementia, Driving, and California State Law
A fact sheet covering legal issues arising from drivers with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
- DMV Reexaminations
Guide for DMV reexaminations due to a phyical or mental condition.
- California DMV Hearing for Elderly Drivers
A narrative of the process through which family members may get the licenses of older family members revoked.
- American Medical Association - Physician's Guide to Assessing and Counseling Older Drivers (PDF File)
Developed by the American Medical Association in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Are you looking for information about fraud at the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- Fraud and Identity Theft Information
DMV resource page for fraud and identity theft information.
Are you looking for court decisions involving the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- Alameda County District Attorney - People v. McHugh (PDF File)
(June 7, 2004) ___Cal.App.4th___
Under what circumstances do school police officers have the authority to make traffic stops? (2) If a DUI arrestee refuses to take a chemical test, can officers authorize a forcible blood draw? (3) Must a DUI arrestee be permitted to take a breath test if, after having refused to take any chemical test and after officers told him he would be given a blood test, he requested a breath test?
- Alameda County District Attorney - People v. Hulland (PDF File)
(August 6, 2003) __ Cal.App.4th__
If officers discover evidence while conducting an illegal warrantless search of a residence, is the evidence admissible if, unbeknownst to the officers, one of the occupants is on parole with a search condition?
Are you looking for information about license plates banned by the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- CALPL8S.COM - California License Plate Info
A list of license plate letter combinations historically banned by the California DMV.
- Capital Center for Government Law and Policy - Constitutional Problems with California's Specialty License Plate Program
A brief report on the application of the free speech clause to situations where the government and private individuals speak together.
Are you looking for information about changes in the law affecting the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- Mr. Traffic - New California Laws for 2004
A survey of assembly and senate bills affecting traffic laws in California and taking effect in 2004.
- Mr. Traffic - California DMV Changes Driving Records
An overview of changes as to how long convictions will stay on your driving record.
- American International Automobile Dealers - California Governor Signs Landmark Legislation; California Accident Records to Be Made Available to Public
Schwarzenegger signed S.B. 871, which will allow the California Department of Motor Vehicles to release vehicle accident information.
- Texting While Driving Continues to Rise
By Gary Richards, June 6, 2010
Are you looking for information about the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles" and selective service registration?
- Committee Opposed to Militarism and the Draft - Attempt to Link Draft Registration with Driver's License Defeated in California - July 2002
Selective Service handed its third legislative defeat in California in as many years.
Are you looking for information about the overpayment of fees to the "CA Department of Motor Vehicles"?
- Mr. Traffic - License Overpayment Info
The Supreme Court has ruled that certain current and former owners of out-of-state motor vehicles are entitled to refunds, but only those who file a claim will receive a refund.
- On-Line Refund Program: Refund Application
DMV form for applying for overpayment refund.
- BajaQuest - Woosley v. State of California
Notice of California class action entitling some vehicle owners to registration fee refunds.
- ChronWatch - Schwarzenegger Terminates California's DMV Director
Elaine Long, Saturday December 06, 2003
- Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association - Dispelling the Car Tax Myths (PDF File)
By Jon Coupal * March 17, 2003
Commentary on the reduction of California DMV fees.
Are you looking for "[Canadian] DMV" Web sites?
- DMVWebsites.com - Links to Canadian DMV Sites
A collection of links to official Canadian "DMV" sites.